There are many different variations and styles of yoga, but in general there are the following 6 types:
- Hatha. The form most often associated with yoga, it combines a series of basic movements with breathing.
- Vinyasa. A series of poses that flow smoothly into one another.
- Power. A faster, higher-intensity practice that builds muscle.
- Ashtanga. A series of poses, combined with a special breathing technique.
- Bikram. Also known as “hot yoga,” it’s a series of 26 challenging poses performed in a room heated to a high temperature.
- Iyengar. A type of yoga that uses props like blocks, straps, and chairs to help you move your body into the proper alignment.